Practiced Age Discrimination Attorney Protecting the Rights of St. Petersburg Clients
Age discrimination applies in discrimination cases of Florida employees who are 40 or older. The employment laws in place seek to prevent companies from terminating older and more experienced employees in order to hire younger employees with lower salary requirements. If you are 40 or older and believe you have been unfairly discriminated against in the workplace as a result of your age, attorney Craig Berman can help you take your employer to task and get you the compensation you deserve.
State & Federal Age Discrimination
Under the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), businesses employing at least 20 employees are barred from making employment decisions based solely on an employee or applicant’s age. Florida state law goes even further, holding businesses employing at least 15 employees to the same standard as the federal law.
What Does Age Discrimination Look Like?
There are many ways age discrimination can manifest in the workplace, but many of the cases Craig Berman has accepted contained one or more of the following tell-tale signs:
- You suddenly start receiving poor performance reviews despite doing your job the way you always have before
- The company lets older employees go citing financial reasons, only to replace them with younger candidates afterward
- You are passed over for promotions for jobs that require skill in new technology
- You are relegated to working on old accounts or problems while new hires are given cutting-edge assignments
- Your boss or colleagues frequently make jokes or offensive comments about your age or older people in general
- You and other older employees are segregated in some way
How Can You Help?
Attorney Craig Berman will help you file a complaint with the correct employment agency or government body in the right language. He will stay by your side throughout the process to ensure your complaint is heard and understood and file any necessary appeals. Mr. Berman is your best bet for obtaining compensation for your troubles and sending a clear message to your employer that age discrimination is intolerable in the workplace.